Share one highlight from your winter break!
Focus: Knowing all the functions of something (i.e. phone, computer, appliance, etc.) unlocks the potential of getting the full experience out of it. Likewise, we need to know the functions of the Word of God to unlock the full experience.
I. Many Christians read the Bible for different reasons, trying to enjoy different benefits. What are some benefits you can think of?
II. The Bible itself reveals its many functions for those who read it with an open heart. In fact, there are more than 35 different functions of the word of God that are mentioned. In this Bible study, we will only cover a few of them.
III. Which function of the word is revealed in John 5:39-40?
- Why is this one of the most important functions of God’s word?
- What do these verses show us about how we should come to the word of God?
- Read Luke 24:26-27, 44-47. How do these verses relate to this point?
- What is the first name and the last name to appear in the New Testament? What does this say about the subject of the New Testament?
IV. Which function of the word is revealed in 1 Pet. 2:2-3? What is the meaning of this and how can we experience it?
V. Read Psalm. 119:105. What function of the word is revealed here? How is this pertinent to any plans we may make for this year?
VI. Choose 1 or 2 of the following verses. Read them and identify the function(s) of the Bible and how we can experience it/them: Psa. 119:9; Jer. 23:29; Prov. 4:20-22; Rom. 15:4; Heb. 4:12.
- Share with one another your experience of reading the word last year/quarter. Don’t be afraid to be honest.
- Consider setting a goal for reading the Bible regularly for this year! Even if you already read the Bible regularly, is there anything you can do to improve the quality of your reading? Here are a few helpful suggestions:
- Create a plan that is sustainable for you
- Have a friend/friends hold you accountable
- Read with someone else in the club once or a few times each week.
- Set a time each day to read (e.g. when you wake up or right before you sleep)
- Share your enjoyment from God’s word with someone
John 5:39 You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that testify concerning Me.
John 5:40 Yet you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
Luke 24:26 Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and enter into His glory?
Luke 24:27 And beginning from Moses and from all the prophets, He explained to them clearly in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.
Luke 24:44 And He said to them, These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all the things written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and Psalms concerning Me must be fulfilled.
Luke 24:45 Then He opened their mind to understand the Scriptures;
Luke 24:46 And He said to them, Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise up from the dead on the third day,
Luke 24:47 And that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
1 Pet. 2:2 As newborn babes, long for the guileless milk of the word in order that by it you may grow unto salvation,
1 Pet. 2:3 If you have tasted that the Lord is good.
Psa. 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet / And a light to my path.
Psa. 119:9 With what should a young man keep his way pure? / By guarding [it] according to Your word.
Jer. 23:29 Is not My word thus–like fire, declares Jehovah, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?
Prov. 4:20 My son, be attentive to my words; / Incline your ear to my sayings.
Prov. 4:21 Do not let them depart from your sight; / Keep them in the midst of your heart.
Prov. 4:22 For they are life to those who find them, / And healing to all their flesh.
Rom. 15:4 For the things that were written previously were written for our instruction, in order that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is living and operative and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit and of joints and marrow, and able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart.