Based on your experience at UCLA so far, what 2 pieces of advice would you give to an incoming student on “the way to be successful” at this campus?
Focus: The Lord Jesus is the unique way to come to God the Father.
I. Background information: to understand this Bible study, we need to see that the Bible reveals that God is one yet three.
A. What does 1 Corinthians 8:4 show us about God?
B. Read Matthew 28:19. How does this verse show that God is both one and three?
C. Based upon this, we can call Him the Triune God (tri- ‘three’ + Latin unos ‘one’) or say that God is in Trinity. This is one of the greatest, most critical, and foundational beliefs of a genuine Christian.
D. Although we may not fully understand how God can be both one and three at the same time, the Bible does show us the purpose of His being Triune. He is Triune so that He may dispense Himself into us and that we may experience and enjoy Him!! How does 2 Corinthians 13:14 show us the purpose of the Trinity?
- In this verse, 1 key word is associated with each of the three of Trinity. By knowing the relationship between these 3 words, we can also know the relationship among the Father, the Son and the Spirit. Describe the relationship among these 3 key words.
- Can you relate these 3 words to the words experience and enjoy?
- In our human lives, is it necessary to fully understand something before experiencing and enjoying it? Can you think of some examples? How can we apply this to the Triune God?
II. John 14:6 shows us a marvelous way that the Father and the Son work together in our experience.
A. In this verse Jesus says “I am the way….” This verse also tells us our destination, our goal. What is Jesus our way to/toward according to this verse?
B. God’s purpose is that we could come to Him and enjoy Him. But there is a dilemma that must first be overcome.
- Read 1 Timothy 6:16. What does the Father dwell in? In particular, focus on the adjective for light used in this verse. How does this present a challenge to fulfilling God’s purpose?
- What is the way that we, sinful human beings, can come to God the Father to be in His presence? Over the centuries, many people have mistakenly thought that the way to the God was good works, not making any mistakes, paying money to charities or churches, or isolating themselves from this world. But the Bible shows us there is only one way for us to come into God’s presence. It is the way mentioned in John 14:6.
- Read Hebrews 10:19. The Holy of Holies in this verse refers to God’s presence, the place where He dwells. What in this verse gives us confidence to come to God?
- One of the most important accomplishments of Jesus was His death on the cross. 1 Corinthians 15:3 gives us one reason He died on the cross.
- Therefore, one aspect of Jesus as our way to God is that through Him as a man who died on the cross, we have the forgiveness of sins and can now through Him come forward to God! It should be a great encouragement that we can come to God not based on our own merit or works but based on His Son, Jesus Christ!
- We should practice what is in Hebrews 10:19 and 4:16 more often because we have seen that Jesus is our Way. What two key words do these verses both share in common? Have you experienced this?
Coming to God as our Father with boldness through Jesus should be something that we practice regularly. What is it like to experience God as our Father? If you need some help, look up Ephesians 1:3, Luke 11:13, 1 John 3:1, 1 Peter 1:3, Colossians 1:12.
1 Corinthians 8:4 Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world and that there is no God but one.
Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and disciple all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
2 Corinthians 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the way and the reality and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.
1 Timothy 6:16 Who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen nor can see, to whom be honor and eternal might. Amen.
Hebrews 10:19 Having therefore, brothers, boldness for entering the Holy of Holies in the blood of Jesus,
1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered to you, first of all, that which also I received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;
Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come forward with boldness to the throne of grace that we may receive mercy and find grace for timely help.
Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ,
Luke 11:13 If you then being evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father who is from heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!
1 John 3:1 Behold what manner of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and we are. Because of this the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has regenerated us unto a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Colossians 1:12 Giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you for a share of the allotted portion of the saints in the light;